Traveling to Canada

Posted in Uncategorised

Photo courtesy of

If you are a citizen of the United States, you need to present a valid passport to enter Canada. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.

Be sure your passport is not within six months of expiring. Please note if you are applying for a passport, the wait time is approximately six weeks.  Apply or renew your passport here.

To facilitate border procedures it is recommended that foreign attendees and exhibitors bring a copy of this letter for presentation to a CBSA Border Services Officer, if needed.

The citizens of many countries require a visa to enter Canada, while the citizens of others do not. Find out if you need a visa to enter Canada before you leave your home country. Visas are issued by Canadian government offices abroad. Not all of these offices have visa officers, but those that do not will direct you to the nearest visa office.  Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for certain international travellers who fly to Canada. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.  

Arriving by air: If you are arriving by air, you will receive a CBSA Declaration Card while you are onboard your flight. You must complete it before arriving in Canada. For a step-by-step guide, consult Arriving by Air.

When you arrive in Canada, proceed to the customs area and get in line to see a border services officer. The officer works for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The CBSA protects Canada's borders and points of entry.

The officer will ask to see your passport or travel documents.  Make sure that you have them with you and that they are not packed in your luggage. This will speed up your entry into Canada.

Even if you do not need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa to enter Canada, the officer will ask you a few questions. The officer will make sure that you meet the requirements to enter Canada.

If you have a misdemeanor offense in the U.S., such as a DUI, check to be sure you will be able to travel through the Canadian border.

Children under 18 must travel with appropriate documents and meet the same entry requirements as adults. The border services officer may ask minor children to present other documents depending on whether the child is travelling alone or with someone. Find out about the specific requirements for minor children.

The officer will stamp your passport and you can proceed to your gate. 

If you need more information, please visit the links below.

Travel from the U.S. to Canada

Canada Border Services Agency

Do you need an eTA or visa to travel to Canada

Travel Advisories or Alerts